Home
HLAI
UAI
Videos
Books
Patents
Notes
Donation

Playing a role playing game (pt 3) using Human Level Artificial Intelligence)

Note:  To make this website free to the public please click on an ad to support my sponsors or you can make a tax-deductable donation using Paypal (click on the donation icon on the left).

Building a robot to play chess is easy.  Building a robot to play a role playing game (RPG) is 10 times harder.  Even better, is to build a robot that can play any boardgame or any videogame.  In fact, building a robot that can do any human task is the holy grail of Artificial Intelligence.

In my patent applications and copyrights (filed starting in 2006), I described a robot that has human level artificial intelligence.  The example used in my books and patent applications is playing the legend of zelda.  I chose this game because It takes a teenager or adult in order to pass the game.  If you ask a 10 year old child to play zelda, they won't be able to pass the game.

The reason RPG games, like Zelda is so difficult is because there are no instructions given to the player.  In fact, the rules of the game and the objectives of the game are not disclosed.  The robot has to discover the rules and objectives of the game through trial and error or common sense.

In this video, the robot is playing Sword of vermillion for the first time and he has no prior knowledge of this game.  He was given vital information through an instruction manual. The instruction manual basically states:  your objective is to pass 8 levels in the game to save the country.

This video is silent because I wanted the viewers to see the thoughts of the robot while playing the game.  The robot's conscious is the voice in his head that gives instructions or information.  This conscious allows the robot to play the game in an intelligent manner.

Playing the entire game of Sword of vermillion takes a very long time.  I have broken up my sword of vermillion video into segments and each segment shows 1 or 2 objectives of the robot during the game.  In this video, the player has to first understand the plot behind the game.  This is accomplished by talking to people in the game.  After understanding the story, the robot can determine the objectives and rules of the game.  For example, the first mission isn't given to the player.  The robot has to find the mission on his own.  The player (the robot) talks to a person in the game to determine his first mission is to go to a cave south of the village and find the wisdom ring.  This information was discovered because the robot used logic and common sense.

There are lots of things involved in playing a RPG game.  This includes: 

1.  navigation in an unknown environment.  navigation to talk to people.

2.  strategies to kill enemies -- analyze enemies and finding weak spots.

3.  logic to understand rules and objectives of game.

4.  manage money (using money to buy weapons or items).

5.  determine next missions (search and listen to people to find missions).

6.  solve problems, like finding ways to gain money and experience.

The robot is doing the ultimate human task when playing a role playing game because he is managing multiple tasks at the same time to beat the game.

Home | HLAI | UAI | Books | Patents | Notes | Donation

Copyright 2006 (All rights reserved)